Monday, September 29, 2008

From the whitest and blackest person I know

This is the first in what I hope is a series of guestblography. This is my boy, E$, for those of you keeping score at home, and while this doesn't include some of the KU info you have come to know and love, this is good shit and it'll probably fuck up the whole way you think about shit.

A little about E$-
Thinks Joc Crawford is a bum, not sure if this is because he has braces or not
Sleeps a lot
Is lazy
Showers more than anyone
and gets chicks pregnant, seriously ladies if you don't want a bun in the oven, stay away from my man, once he starts clowing special reserve he's all about throw babies right in your grill

without furhter ado.....

Mount Rapmore

Last week, I was asked to be a ‘guest blogger’ for this blog. I must admit, this is my first experience with blogging. I asked RB what he wanted me to write about. He responded, “Anything you want”. After thinking about it long and hard (that’s what she said) I decided to touch on a subject the RB and I covered at great length almost a year ago.

The questioned that was posed to me, “If you turned Mount Rushmore into a sculpture with the four greatest rappers of all time, who would they be?”

This might be the hardest questioned I’ve ever been asked. And thank God it has never come up in a job interview or I’m not sure if I would be here today as one of the greatest account managers in the litigation support industry this world has ever seen.

Let’s tackle this, shall we. The first two are easy…Notorious B.I.G. and TuPac. These two men single handily changed the game of hip-hop. These two men were more or less responsible for the entire East Coast vs. West Coast beef that dominated the rap world for years. A battle on wax between these two mega-stars went from a one-on-one battle, to Bad Boy vs. Death Row, to an entire coast hating another coast. Now that’s power! Then of course, the both get shot and all of a sudden the industry says ‘it’s gone too far’, keep your battles on wax. Let’s not overlook that both of these guys had some of the sickest lyrics in the history of hip-hop. I don’t think anyone else in hip-hop has influenced the industry more than these two.

The third spot took some thinking, but I have to give the nod to Dr. Dre. Look at Dre’s career…he started with NWA. If BIG and Pac elevated ‘gangsta rap’ to mainstream America, well NWA started gangsta rap. After Dre leaves the group, what does he do? Oh yeah, that’s right, he releases maybe the greatest rap album of all time and introduces us to some guy called Snoop Doggy Dogg (ever heard of him?). I will admit, since Dre dropped The Chronic in 1992 his career has been less than awesome. There was the failed Aftermath album in 1996 when he tried to show the world he could make it without Shug Knight. But, Dre did give us Snoop (and Tha Dogg Pound) and Eminem (and D-12) who gave us 50 Cent (and G-Unit) - so the Dr. Dre Family Tree is pretty solid – Dre, you’re on the mountain.

Ok, this is where it got hard (that’s what she said). RB and I had a really hard time filling the 4th spot. But you know what, now some time has past, this is easy… Jay-Z. If Dre is on the mountain for helping start gangsta rap and Pac and BIG are on there for starting the West vs. East Coast beef, well Jay was one of the first rappers who turned hip-hop into a business AND continued to release incredible albums over his entire career. There have been several ‘business men’ in hip-hop, starting with Russell Simmons, but Jay accompanied that with maybe the greatest career of rhyming. Jay’s first album dropped in 1996, Reasonable Doubt. Kinda a normal first album, not that great and no real hits (except for Ain’t No N*****) which didn’t get some play on MTV. But he comes back in 1998 with Hard Knock Life and been here ever since. Most rappers turn out one MAYBE two good albums (have you heard the new Nelly CD, his ship as sailed) but Jay continues to drop hit after hit, showing the world that he is not falling off. Jay, you’re on the mountain, welcome.

There you have it, my Mount Rapmore.

No comments: