Monday, February 16, 2009

RB & Piotr - dominate Lawrence- MUST READ

















So we get to Lawrence and head straight for the basketball office, first Piotr has to take a leak and this leads to one of what will be many cool happenings, we just role right into the auditorium where Self does pressers, and his podium is still there from earlier in the day, see above- we partied on it, it was really cool to stand behind that if I was Self I would have said this week in practice we are going to work on "Blue to Blue" its called the same team and no turnovers, it'd be good I bet Bedore would love me dropping great quotes all over the place.


We make our way to the basketball office and as you go down this hallway its a who's who of college basketball, I mean I didn't even know what to do, its the best trip down memory lane I've ever had. Wilt, JoJo, Adonis at the Final Four in 91, Roy, it was just nutty. I've never walked so slow in my life and turned my head faster than I did. And its in places like this that I am speechless which is rare.


And here's the benefit of going with Pitor, he just acts like he owns the place we just walk right into the office like we're there to see the mural, which we were. Its just bizarre to stand there and watch Case, Ballard and Barry Henson walk around and we're just staring at this mural (see above) (However they should be a practice right? But then later you think about it and realize that Case not being at practice is a good thing- although we could let him scrimmage and get everybodies confidence up, just a thought)

And then we peak into this conference room and this was my fault because I felt naughty, like we weren't supposed to be there, and I don't mess with KU Basketball. But there's just a ton of Big 12 trophies (regular season and tourney) and a huge poster board with Iowa St notes- which would have been really interesting to see.
Due to construction, you can't get from Wagnon to Allen without going outside, this is bumming us out now and leading us some wild goose chase, there might be a silver lining to this, but right now all I'm doing is opening random doors and hoping to see something cool.
And seriously- why don't you get a name plate if you work in the athletic department? Now they just have a piece of paper taped to their door with their name on it, its kind of ghetto.

Practice is not in the Phog- its over at Horesji. So this leads to Piotr wanting to leave, me wanting answers and some game planning.

If the game was to get lost in the Wagnon center we would've won.
So we go back up to the basketball office where Piotr gets answers. The problem is that we are confused because we saw Henson, Case and Ballard up in the offices and not at practice. So we just camp out by the south entrance to the locker room and wait. Piotr trys to get in Horesji to no avail and I have to let him back in the Fieldhouse, although he did get to see Teahan go to the potty, if he was a 14 year old girl this would have been all he needed.

Side note we met a camper whose group name was "Erin Andrews Loves the Hardwood" so that was fun not as cool as my group when we're the "Rusty Trombones" or "24 and 23"

So we just wait and hang and Piotr lays out his barrage of things to get signed. And some team manager / laundry guy tells us that no one is going to sign- he'll prove to be wrong. Then there was some real solid dude who gave us all the scoop which was solid.

Self- not happy. But you know what he was cordial enough with my boy and told us to have a nice day. He's a solid as they come. We guessed that practice was lackluster and then he has to make it over to Hawk Talk and answer stupid questions from small town fans. But he could have big timed us but he took a second to talk to and sign for Piotr and that says a lot about him. How anyone could be upset about him being at the helm is crazy (truth be told, I'd like it if they pushed the ball up the floor a bit more- just so 193950 won't lose his mind, just saying)


Mitch Holtus- looking at Sherron for a free safety for the Chiefs- doing games for big 12 network, what? He was a nice guy although we still have no idea what the hell he was doing there.

Coach Townsend- went out of his way to let us know that the whole team (minus the guys who look alike and the guy who has the same initials as the best gas station ever - not Kum N' Go- had to lift and it would be another 45 minutes before they came out, which is really solid and a great reflection on KU Basketball -

Sorry- Danny Manning just came out and signed an auto for me while Piotr was in the bano- further proof that peeing is overrated. Although Danny was a little bit guarded since Piotr had a whole gang of papers on the floor, we look sketchy.

Anyway it was real solid that Coach Townsend told us that.

Piotr just stoned out by Cole, which was awkward.

UPDATE- totally picked Cole off in the parking lot- he was not pleased, watching Piotr ask for a 2nd autograph, was hilarious.

Also the big guy had ice on his lower left front shin, probably from kicking ass.

Oh yeah, we're in the Burge parking lot now, why?
Well because KU security asked us to leave and then Polish wanted to just stay and the dude came and looked for us and walked us out, so that was really weird. We're guessing its because Manning saw all of our stuff and thought we were autograph dealers, which he had every right to, also I told him the autograph was for my sister named Ryan, and back off I was intimidated, rarely do I hang out with number 1 draft picks.

Pajamas told me it was cool that I wasn't going to elbow him in the back, so that's good. But the only reason I was talking to him was because I thought he was with Sherron- who looks a lot like Tyrone Appleton in a dark parking lot- fyi.

Just met Jeff Withey, and he's a cool ass mother- wearing a scarf and tall as all get out.
He said he going to wear either number 5 or 10 and asked ME MY OPINION- so he knows- I told him 10 like Hinrich. Was a real nice and down to earth guy, already one of my favorite Jayhawks.


Cole was the last one we got- but I liked doing the update thing after he shunned Piotr.

We finally got Collins- he didn't say a word- not 1. And Piotr forgot that he needed 2 autographs from him instead of 1 so he ran a 4.68 - forty to catch up with him and get another autograph- which was funny.

So we're finally leaving the Burge parking lot and Piotr gives me the Chinese or American option for grub- anyone who has had the "where should we eat discussion" with me you know how this will end.

Jefferson's it is.
Hot wings and burgers- nice.
So we tab out and we're getting ready to leave our way fun evening.

When well what'ya know here's Danny.
So this presents a cool moment in multiple aspects it gives the guy who was in the bathroom a chance to get his Manning autograph and gives me a chance to let Manning that I'm not an idiot.
So first of Manning remembers me, which since he was less than thrilled to see me at the Field House, this is not a good thing. But Manning doesn't realize that I have made a lot of mistakes in the last 27 years and gotten in trouble a lot so I'm pretty used to this.
Him and I have a brief conversation in which I reveal that I am Ryan and the jersey was for me and that I was rattled by his awesomeness and he was cool with it and we chatted for a second, so he was actually a nice guy.
However, him showing up meant a lot more to Piotr, I think he might have peed himself a bit, he even threw out the "this is a calling" or something like that, hilarious.
Rock Chalk


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Develop the pictures, date them and keep. They'll be a CLASSIC!! Run on sentences were making me dizzy. Did you breathe while writing this? Glad the visit was productive. Rock Chalk!! Love, RB

offense & defense said...

Apparently the comments above are from my mom, who has the same initials as me, so that's bizarre.