Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Orange Bowl - fake punt- the real story

So, to lighten it up, I thought I'd post something I've been holding onto for a bit. I have traded messages with Micah Brown former KU WR and I asked him what "what went through your head during the fake punt?"
Below is his response- pretty good stuff actually for one of the more memorable plays in recent KU football history if not all of history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1JsQiaXhI (in case you need to watch it)

Honestly it was a pure God thing. We'd never practiced that play before. I didn't even know they were throwing it to me. Because the protection was set to the other side we were only supposed to throw to the other side. But the return guy rolled down over the top of JT (justin Thornton).

My guy checked into a block stance so I was screaming at Bmac to check me in tight to help block so he didn't block the punt. Instead they snapped the ball. I jogged off the line, preparing myself to chase down anyone who blocked it. I saw the ball come wobbling out of a crowd of people. I thought "oh lord don't drop it" .

As soon as I caught it I turned to run, but the DB already had an angle on me since I had to stop, run back to the ball, turn around and go. I didn't see him at first so when I caught it the first thing I thought was ," I'm gonna score a touchdown, I'm gonna do a flip into the end zone" hahahhaa. I mean, at the time I was a walk on. I would take a cursing ! I didn't care! But I started to run and the guy was there.. tried to stiff arm him... but I had separated my shoulder a couple plays before diving for the guy who ran the punt back for VT. So when I stuck my arm out, it just gave out.. got pushed out of bounds. After that I felt like I was in a dream. It all happened so fast, yet while the ball was in the air it was like it was slow motion..... Great memory. Few people know that it wasn't the coaches call. They alerted us to the POSSIBILITY of running a fake. But never to my side. It should have been called off due to the look. B mac got cussed out on the sideline actually. He told coach to shut up, that it worked, and that he had faith in me to make a play. I owe it to him.


Hope you enjoyed that, what a cool ass story-
Rock Chalk-

1 comment:

Jeff Dreiling said...

Bauer,

I think you know how much I love you but come on bro. First of all, your stalking abilities are second to none and impressive. Secondly, please send the full actual string of e-mails to me because I need to see how you got to that point. Lastly, not even one of the top two plays in that game (talib interception, mortenson blocked fg) let alone KU history. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. With all that being said, probably your best post.