Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Q and A with Logan

Logan Overman is a former KU catcher and avid fan of all KU sports. He was kind enough to take a couple minutes with State of the Union to answer some questions as KU prepares to make a run in the NCAA tourney.
Enjoy

What were the years of your playing career at KU?

I played for KU from the Fall of 1996 until the winter of 1998.

  As a honorable mention All Big 12 Academic Team you obviously studied some in school, was it easier for you to play during times where there weren't classes going on, ie- spring break or after graduation in the summer, etc?              

  Playing ball while school was in session was not a problem for me.  We worked hard to schedule a majority of our classes in the morning and made sure that at the very latest you were out of class by 2:00.  All of my professors were very supportive of athletes and did a wonderful job of working with us to accommodate our practice, game and travel schedules. The biggest adjustment to playing college baseball for a kid like me from Wichita, Kansas, was playing baseball all year.  Some of the guys from the South were used to that, but it was the first time in my life I had played year around.  There was never a break.  Even during the off season there were workouts, practices, throwing drills, bullpens to catch and meetings every day.  It was like having a full time job while in school.  It was a great experience and one that I was fortunate to have.   

As an alum of the KU baseball program, how excited are you with the team making their first Big Dance since 2006?

I am thrilled for Coach Price, the coaching staff and all of the current players.  We have a solid group of players this year and there is every indication that Coach Price is well on his way to fielding a team year in and year out that can compete at this level.  As I told Coach Price earlier this year, it is a joy to finally go out to the Hog and watch good baseball.   
Are there any players that you are impressed with on the current squad?          

   Of course, Tony Thompson is a complete stud and so much fun to watch at the plate.  However, although I may be biased, I have really enjoyed watching Buck Afenir over the last few seasons.  He is a great leader and one hell of a defensive catcher. (He also has some pop in his bat). 

With a young team, what should the fans expectations be for the tourney?

I think we should have high expectations for the tournament.  I can guarantee you that this team is not satisfied with just making the tournament.  They beat some very good teams this year and are more than capable of doing the same this weekend if they can get it rolling.  To make it past this weekend, they will have to make it past UNC which has a great squad.  However, all the number one seeds are great squads so it doesn't matter what region you are in, you have to play balls to the wall to advance.  I actually think that playing so poorly last weekend in Oklahoma City was a blessing in disguise.  This group is going to be fired up to play in Chapel Hill and I guarantee you that Coach Price will have them hitting on all cylinders.  There has been so much hype associated with the Big 12 this year, and unlike the past three years, I think a few teams from the Big 12 are Omaha bound this year.  There is no reason that one of those teams should not be the Jayhawks.

  Rock Chalk. (Logan put this- to save me time, I'm sure)   
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: