Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Game ---- (edited post scrimmage)

Spring game is less than a month away and since my weekend plan for being a degenerate watching basketball has been foiled by Selfish Sherron I got to thinking about the Spring Game.

Here's what I'm going to be looking at through Spring Ball and the Spring Game.

1- Can Kale Pick do how Dodge City do and be the backup QB?
My guess is yes, while I could care less who our backup QB is, KP bringing the noise will make it easier for Kerry Meier to get even better at WR and earn some $$ playing on Sunday's (Just so there's no confusion there is a 100% chance I'll be sporting a Kerry Meier Houston Texans jersey next year)

2- How is Tanner Hawkinson doing at LT?
Since should probably be #1, but if he can go in and nail down the LT spot, we'll be a lot better for it.
Tanner manning the LT will allow us to put Hatch at Center (the position he was recruited for and played in HS) and keep Spikes at RT (where he got progressively better throughout the year and was somewhat studly there at the end)
At the Guard spots I'm hoping that Lueken can lock down one of the spots, but I think he's going to have some competition from RS FR Trevor Margonelli, who's a mean SOB.
Also look for Brad Thorsen, transfer from Wisconsin, to figure in the Guard rotation and Sal Capra who got a lot of reps there last year.

At the other guard spot I really think its Big John Williams' to lose, he's a big big man.

3-Kevin Young at DE
He's a true freshmen but has been on campus since January. Can he at his young age give us a rush end? I hope so. (this isn't of paramount importance since we have 4 Star Juco, Quinton Woods coming in for next year)

4- Kick Returner
I hope its not Briscoe. Not because I dislike Dez, because nothing could be further from the truth, but I really don't think someone that is critical to our aerial attack should be returning kicks.
In my mind there are a couple of candidates-
1- Joc Crawford- I'm not ready to write this guy off yet, he was good on Kickoff coverage unit and serviceable against OU returning kicks, broke one to about midfield.
2- DeShaun Sands - son of TD Tony Sands, has wiggle and could be real solid in the role, he's already on campus so getting reps shouldn't be a problem.
3- Isiah Barfield - converted to WR from CB, and has good speed.

I'm sure someone else could do this, but I look for it to be one of the 3 listed

5- Who the hell are the corners?
Mangino recently said Daymond Patterson is staying at CB, so he'll be there on one side.
On the other side you have Thorton, who is physical but not the fastest guy around.
Chris Harris- maybe he can regain his form, but right now he's slotted as a Safety.
Greg Brown - RS FR- highly regarded coming out of HS
Corrigan Powell or Anthony Davis - Both saw time last year but with mixed to poor results
Calvin Rubles- might be the guy, he's a Juco transfer and went to the same HS as Talib.
Whoever the hell it is, they better lock it down, no wavering about who it is.

Rock Chalk


After getting some inside info, it appears that everyone looked good. But the most encouraging news to come out of scrimmage was that Joc Crawford looks a lot better than he did last year, so that's a real good sign.

No comments: