Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Stubs

So since there isn't shit to do until rematch Friday and since I'm sitting in the KU room and since the all hoops frame is done I figured let's talk duckets. Hopefully a good amount of KU fans are getting duckets and heading to Indy to support our Hawks.

Since I love top 5's I gonna break down as such.

Top 5 tickets with interesting stories behind them-
5- KU at Ok state -2008I posed as a KU student and went there and back sober on a bus with a bunch of kids from SUA and my sister. KU lost and it snowed on the way home.It would turn out to be the last game they lost that year and Memphis lost that night for the first time, their only other loss coming on April 7th.

4- KU v. Zona - 97 Sweet 16- I chose a trip and ticket to this game over a car, whoops.

3-KU v. South Carolina - 2004This was a really close game and I got to sit right behind the bench. But my ticket was free and I got it from Keith Langford's dad since maybe he got discounted hotel rooms, hey he could have been a member of AAA.

2-KU v. A&M - January 2001This 3 days after I started at KU and student tickets were sold out. I bought tickets from some guy on a message board and made him meet me in Lawrence since I was too lazy to drive. I went with my dad and Bryant Nash is on the ticket.Little did I know I'd see his dumb ass at a party shortly after and tell him how lucky he was to be at KU and that he really shouldn't be.

1-KU v. CU - March 1, 2006Max's last game. Herm told me I had to go to the game and paid for my ticket. I called the jersey being retired so that was fun and earlier this year I had Max sign it, which is very cool.

Ok top 5 biggest games / most fun
In no order-

1- KU v. G-Tech - new years day 2005
I got so hammered on the night of December 30th that I puked black stuff and slept on the bathroom floor, I didn't drink on New Years Eve because I was still a mess.I get to the house early like 5:30 AM early on Gameday and camp out, we get decent seats but I sweat so much you can't tell who we played on the stub its basically blank. KU never led until overtime and won while Simien was on the bench.

2-March 2, 2005

50 Years of the Field House.
I almost turned down a job to go to this game and flew back from Colorado for it.No one, I mean no one was as ramped for 50 Years of the Phog as I was, I bought everything that had to do with that deal. Anyway throwback uniforms, senior day, free shit at the gate. Both my parents were there and the roomie was there. Awesome times. Work that next day was less fun.And we beet K-st which made it even better.

3- 91 Championship game / 93 Final Four

Both of these games were huge because of the stage they were played on but both involved me throwing things into the fireplace.
91 was the TV remote which caused some problems after the fact.
93 was ketchup packets and when you hit the outside of the fireplace with a ketchup packet, there's serious repercussions.

4- KU v. MU 2002 Big Monday / KU v. Ok St 2003 Hinrich Collison Senior day

KU - MU in 02 was awesome because that was the year Kareem Rush was picked preseason to be Player of the Year and Mizzou had been ranked number 2 in the land. I was spitting / coughing up blood and had an appointment the next day at Watkins but I went anyway and this was the first game with Thundersticks, which was great.You'll remember we beat the fuck out of MU in the 2nd half, Arthur Johnson's fat ass got stuffed by the rim and Kirk ran down the floor backwards after hitting a pull up 3 in Kareem's grill piece. Magically I felt fine the next day.

Ahh Kirk's last game, that was tough but weird in retrospect that it was Roy's last game too. I remember being so nervous and anxious because I wanted both Kirk and Nick to play so well that I didn't have that much fun, but it was a special day. Plus after the game I realized that Reals didn't know the difference between a giraffe and an elephant, don't ask.

5- KU v. The Dream Team - 4/7/8I paid like $40 or something ignorant for a stub from this game and the Carolina game last year because I needed them to be the centerpiece of my frame but is cool to have even though I wasn't there I was at the Phog, but its an awesome stub and the greatest game I've ever seen.
Rock Chalk

No comments: