Saturday, July 18, 2009

2010 hoops recruiting- the week that was

Before we get started, I'm happy to report that Jeff Withey no longer has his left thumb bandaged, so he's probably back lifting and working on his game. (thanks to Moosh for the scoop)


As the summer evaluation period heats up we'll continue to get lots of little tidbits and learn of new KU targets all the time, here's what this week brought us...

We already know that KU has a verbal commitment from top 100 player, Royce Wooldridge a guard from Arizona.

Fabricio de Melo a 5 star center from Florida is getting the hot and heavy treatment from Bill Self and Danny Manning.
This is the first I have heard of him so obviously KU is getting in a little late, but they at least have a chance with Melo and the last time we got a highly regarded center from Florida with with an unconventional name it turned out pretty well.

Harrison Barnes- the grand prize of the 2010 class- who many believe will ultimately decide between KU and Puke.
According to Draftexpress.com the "scuttlebutt" is that Barnes leader is KU.
The kid is an absolute stud and a great kid, hopefully Self can get him on campus because he truly is a special player.

Corey Jospeh, the 3rd best PG in the class per rivals.com, is going to take a visit to KU at some point. Joseph is from Canada but will be playing his senior year at Findlay prep, the same school that Avery Bradley attended last year.
Its a must that Self gets a point guard in this class and Joseph is right at the top of my list and I think a likely get as opposed to Brandan Knight who doesn't seem to be interested in KU, maybe he hates hot chicks and partying?


Doron Lamb, from the NYC, has already visited UK and will visit KU some time in August, which I would think would be an unofficial and then hopefully we could get him back for an official visit, maybe Late Night.
A 5 star shooting guard and the possibility to keep a NYC pipeline open is very enticing, especially with possible departures of Tyshawn and Xavier.

It'll be really interesting to see how this class ends up, its so early now, its hard to tell. We know that Barnes is the top priority and a PG and big guy are needs as well.

Rock Chalk

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Fab Melo is Calipari's to lose. How long have HCBS & Manning been working on him?

Ace said...

I'm not sold on this Melo kid. Probably another J'Mison Morgan (bust) in the making.

I would like for KU to go after Terrence Jones from Jefferson High School in Portland, Oregon. You know he knows all about us since Miles & Lee both went to KU. At 6'8" & 220# already, he and TRob (plus Kieff and Withey) could be a great 4-man rotation after Aldrich leaves.

I agree that Barnes is our #1 priority. Dude is a stud, and probably not a OAD because he seems to be high on academics. Doron Lamb would be a perfect fit for our team as well. Although apparently he and the rest of the country is going to Kentucky already (haha).

And if Tyshawn bolts, maybe Elijah can be our point guard. If not, I imagine we'll go hard after Joseph or pick up the pace on McCallum again, whom we seem to have cooled on lately.

That's my $0.02. Rock Chalk!

offense & defense said...

We've only been on Melo for a couple of weeks.
I'm not sure about his game, I just know he's 7-0 and weighs a lot so I assume he'd be a nice addition.

I like the possibilty of adding Jones, there just isn't a ton to report on him right now and the same can be said for McCollum.

I'm not sure KU has cooled on McCollum I think he's cooled on us and is going to play for his dad at Detroit.

I expect 2 things from this class and I feel very confident about this-
1- there will be less drama than the 09 class, by A LOT

2- this class will be very good.

Rock Chalk