Monday, July 20, 2009

2010 Point Guard recruiting

some new news developed since the last recruiting blog so here's where we are in terms of PG's-

Brandon Knight - #1 overall player according to Rivals.com
Minimal interest in KU, but he also isn't really saying anything so who knows, I say there's about a zero chance he ends up at KU

Josh Selby- #2 ranked PG , 7 overall- rivals.com
He had been committed to Bruce Pearl for the last 10 months but has now decommitted . According to his mom (via rivals.com) she (the mom) contacted Bill Self and there is some genuine interest there. So that's good, this is so new we'll have to monitor it and see what comes of it if anything.

Ray McCallum-
Was long considered a KU lean but he either is being more guarded with his comments, KU has backed off of him or he is going to play for his dad at Detroit. I'm not sure which one it is but I don't feel as good about KU landing him as I did say 6 months ago.

Corey Joesph- #12 overall -rivals.com
this is the guy I think ends up in the Crimson and the Blue and a top 15 kid is nothing to sneeze at, I'd be very happy if he wound up at KU and there seems to be a a lot of interest from him in KU.

In other recruiting news-
Harrison Barnes has been selected by SLAM magazine to be the high school diarist this year. Last year Xavier Henry held that title down. I'll have more on this later this week.

Rock Chalk

2 comments:

Ace said...

I think I could talk recruiting all day long...

I never thought we had a realistic shot at Brandon Knight. Much like Derrick Rose, he'll want to be the unquestioned floor leader when he steps on campus. If we end up taking a point guard in this class, it will be long before Knight ends his recruitment.

Josh Selby is an elite prospect, but he seems to be packing some Xavier Henry-like drama. He's a two-time decommit already. But then again, so did the Morris twins. Time will tell, but Selby might be more trouble than he's worth.

I was extremely high on Ray McCallum, but Coach Self seems to be going after some bigger fish at the moment. I think if we really wanted him, we could get him. Right now, he seems like more of a backup plan.

Corey Joseph would be the perfect backcourt mate for Elijah Johnson, as they both know each other quite well on the AAU circuit. We still haven't offered him a scholarship yet. But I'm sure that moment is rapidly approaching as some of the other dominoes start to fall. I can definitely see why Self wants this kid... he clearly has a "Deron Williams" look to him.

Keeps us posted! Maybe we'll get lucky and land one of these kids in the early signing period.

offense & defense said...

I know that Joseph isn't claiming an offer, but I have to think if he called Self today and said "I want to be a Jayhawk" Self would take his commitment, he's too talented to turndown.

Self could also be withholding a scholly offer to him until he visits, maybe Self thinks he can get him on campus, offer him and close all in one weekend, which certianly wouldn't be a first for Self.

My money is on Joseph.

And while I think Selby is drama, we can't say Xavier Henry like drama, because he's one of us now, plus all of his drama was because of Carl, not Xavier.

I really think the 2010 class is going to be something specail and I hope that we have a good idea of what it will look like this fall, waiting until the spring = drama overload