Friday, June 19, 2009

Should I be concerned about football recruiting?

So far KU has 5 verbal commitments (players can't sign LOI's until February)

And this is going to be a small class so for all intents and purposes they are 1/3 of the way through the class with 17 being what is considered the magic number.

But since we just had the OL/DL camp and the Super Jayhawk Camp in the last month and didn't get a single commit out of those, I'm a tad worried.

Now, like I mentioned there is still about 8 months of recruiting left and a lot of kids will wait to see what happens on the field this year before deciding, but I still thought there would be a couple more verbals.

For all the optimist out there, self included, Devin Patterson, the younger brother of Daymond Patterson, impressed at the Super Jayhawk camp according to various reports but did not receive an offer.
That's actually a good thing, because it means that the staff feels confident that they can get something better at that position.

So while the numbers are lower than I would like, I do believe that we will see some good talent sign up in this class before it is all said and done.
Kids, especially talented kids, want a chance to play early and when they see some of the playing time that will be available in 2010 and how many youngsters play this year I think KU will be looking pretty good in the eyes of a lot of quality targets.

Rock Chalk

2 comments:

Mortenson said...

Personally, I am not too worried. When you look at the grand scope of things, the coaching staff is probably trying to lay the foundation for a bunch of kids to compete against each other for who will actually get a scholly. With what I have heard about the success of our improving touchpoints in TX, FL, OH, and other states where we previously had no presence, coupled with the potential staggering stats put on the board by this year's team will equal high quality recruits wanting to play for the Big 12 (North) Champs. Relax.

offense & defense said...

I mean you make points but with the class being smaller and we can't really sell the whole "play with Todd Reesing" angle so I believe there is very little margin for error, I trust Mangino and the staff implicitly and hopefully they will show their stuff again this year.
We shall see.